The name Portumna derives from the Irish Port Omna, meaning the landing place of the oak tree. Portumna Forest Park was acquired in 1948 and covers almost 450 hectares. It was formerly owned by the Clanrickarde family. There is an old abbey, now under the care of the Office of Public Works (OPW), within the Park which dates back to the 15th century. There are forest and lakeside walks, car park, toilet facilities and observation points. Perfect for walking, cycling, picnicing, bird watching and for those who love nature. There is a viewing tower along the nature trail where one can get a bird’s eye view of the forest, lake and lakeshore. Adjacent to the Park is a marina giving access to the Shannon waterway system. There are walking and cycling trails.